Skip to content
You are here: Home | Young people | Who can I talk to?

Who can I talk to?

No matter how you are feeling, you do not have to go through things alone. If you don't feel that you can talk to your family or a trusted member of staff at school, then there are a number of confidential talking services for children and young people.

These organisations also have information about other difficulties you might be having such as mental health and emotional wellbeing, bullying, relationships, family and discrimination.

If you are in an emergency and there is risk to life (yours or another person's) call 999.


Childline is a free and confidential talking service that is free to contact and won’t show up on your phone bill. Even if you don't have credit on your mobile phone you can call them for free.

You can also email or use 1-2-1 chat.

The Childline website also has  information about a range of topics including bullying, drugs and alcohol, feelings, relationships and sex, school, college and work.

Young Minds

Young Minds has information about common feelings and mental health symptoms, how to cope and where to get help.

Young minds also have a 24/7 crisis messenger if you need urgent help.

The Mix

The Mix has information on embarrassing problems, weird questions, and please-don’t-make-me-say-it-out-loud thoughts that people under 25 have.

They also provide support through digital and phone services, including 1-2-1 chat and a crisis messenger as well as a phone line.

Student Minds

Student Minds has information and support for students at university to look after their mental health. Support is available through phone, text, web-chat or email.

On Trak

On Trak is a counselling service for young people who are experiencing mental health problems. You may be offered short, medium or long-term one-to-one counselling, usually on a weekly basis. On Trak provides:

  • A supportive relationship at times of crisis
  • A safe place to express yourself
  • Advice and guidance to promote good mental health
  • Help with more effective ways to handle stressful situations
  • A better understanding of yourself and your relationship to the world
  • A greater awareness of your personal resources, abilities and ways to build self-esteem.

You can refer yourself or a parent, guardan or carer can refer you.


GP stands for general practitioner. This is a doctor who provides overall care to look after both your physical and mental health. 

Your GP can help with:

  • letting you know what support is available to you through the NHS
  • suggesting different types of treatment like counselling, medication or therapy
  • offering regular check-ups to see how you’re doing
  • finding local support groups for your mental health
  • explaining what the next steps are in getting you support

You will need to make an appointment to see a GP. Most people in the UK are registered with a GP, if you are not you can use the NHS website to find a GP.